Saturday, June 03, 2006

PANCACKE MIX WARNING

Check the date of your Bisquick!!!

VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ THIS ALL THE WAY THROUGH!! FOR YOUR SAFETYAND THOSE THAT YOU LOVE DEAR ABBY:
I recently made a batch of pancakes for my healthy 14-year-old son, using a mix that was in our pantry. He said that they tasted "funny,"but ate them anyway. About 10 minutes later, he began having difficultybreathing and his lips began turning purple. I gave him his allergy pill, had him sit on the sofa and told him to relax. He was wheezingwhile inhaling and exhaling. My husband, a volunteer firefighter andEMT, heated up some water, and we had my son lean over the water so thesteam could clear his chest and sinuses. Soon, his breathing became moreregular and his lips returned to a more normal color. We checked thedate on the box of pancake mix and, to my dismay, found it was veryoutdated. As a reference librarian at an academic institution, I have the ability to search through many research databases. I did just that,and found an article the next day that mentioned a 19-year-old maleDYING after eating pancakes made with outdated mix. Apparently, the mold that forms in old pancake mix can be toxic! When we told our friendsabout my son's close call, we were surprised at the number of people whomentioned that they should check their own pancake mix since they don't use it often, or they had purchased it some time ago. With so manypeople shopping at warehouse-type stores and buying large sizes ofpancake mix, I hope your readers will take the time to check theexpiration date on their boxes. Also, beware of outdated cake, brownie and cookie mixes.

I myself will not be eating any of the above due to my weight loss goals, but I'll keep an eye out for the rest of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment